CESAREF at UNITECR 2023
Offering over 200 lectures on themes including Green hydrogen-based steel making, Modified and new refractory lining concepts, Modern tools such as big data analysis, machine learning, and the development of suitable models and Circular economy the UNITECR2023 conference broke its record for number of participants. The 1122 participants from academia and industry were not only treated to a wide choice of presentations but also 53 posters, four award ceremonies and events such as Young Professionals and Women@Refractories.
Nine CESAREF PhD students participated in the event with six posters and two presentations. It was clear to see the CESAREF project is very well aligned with the current direction and goals of the refractories industry.
The two oral presentations:
- João Victor MENEZES CUNHA: Overview on LCA: Challenges and opportunities for the refractory industry; Session “LCA of refractories / hydrogen”
- Andrea SALERNO: Insights on numerical models to predict potential recyclability of spent refractories from steel making industry; Session “Raw materials – Binders II / Secondary Materials”
and the 7 poster presentations:
- P 40, Md JUBAYED: The choice of magnesia-carbon refractories for steel ladle lining: a life cycle perspective
- P 44, Mathilda DERENSY: Use of metallurgical residues as potential raw materials for high performance refractory castables
- P 50, Cristian Daniel BOHORQUEZ-MORENO: Characterization of refractories with regard to the application in H2-containing atmospheres
- P 52, Victor RUELA: Advanced analytics applied to improve the energy efficiency of steel ladle logistics
- P 53, Amit Kumar GOPE: Prediction of performance and assessment of reusability and recycling of refractory materials using non-destructive online evaluation and machine learning algorithms
- P 72, Kwasi Addo BOATENG: Microstructure Design of a more Sustainable Alumina-spinel Refractory Castable
- P 74, Harikeshava RANGANATHAN: Discrete Element Method (DEM) to support microstructure design of refractories